Total Pageviews

Monday 2 July 2012

Manga Art


I have become hooked on this developed, Japanese art style. It came about in the late 19th century and is a comic medium read by all ages. Since the 1950's Manga has spanned all genres and is an important part of the Japanese publishing industry. These whimsical drawings not only tell stories but they are works of art and even without a storyline or animation or text they are a collection of precise beauty. I love the clean lines, colour and hihlighting and when I go about creating a new manga piece (image above) I love to gather the ideas from existing art and chop and change til I produce something totally unique. I love how Manga art can go anywhere from girls with feline body parts to rainbow hair- the ideas know no bounds.

Not only is the artwork of importance to me, I also find watching my rather small collection of Anime films a joy. I started by just looking out for The Studio Ghibli collections which have been beautifully created by Hayao Miyazaki. I find that they set the benchmark for all Japanese animation. To watch they are a magical experience as the artwork continues to astound me but the stories are something of an enchanting thrill. My favourites including "Spirited Away", "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Howl's Moving Castle". The scenes are lifelike and remarkable as is the animation and the mystery they envelop you in.

I recently purchased two more DVDs which I discovered back at the college library when I should have been studying. Produced by "Manga", "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" and "Origin- Spirits of the Past" are equally as enthralling and after recently watching them, they rekindled my love for Japanese art and the Manga genre. Described as 'dreamily beautiful' and 'breath-taking', the anime genre of films is not one to be missed on the assumption that they are, I quote, "cartoons for children". They can be enjoyed by any age and I proudly stand for such stunning visuals.

But my review cannot just be read. In order to understand and fully appreciate, you must either buy or borrow an Anime film or book, especially the ones I have recommended in this post!

Rach
x



No comments:

Post a Comment