Total Pageviews

Monday 25 June 2012

My first wedding...

On Saturday the 23rd of June my two best friends, Philip and Donna, tied the knot. We dodged the weather and went to St.Lukes to watch the joining of the perfect couple. Philip and his best man, Matt, greeted us at the church entrance looking very dapper in black suits, with pearly white waistcoats and fob watch chains.

Dan, Adam, Sam and myself took our seats along with other friends and relations and at 1.20pm the blushing bride entered the church to the wedding march. Donna looked stunning in a dress that can only be described as the definition of beauty. It was strapless, fitted at the top and flowing down to the ground with beaded detail which sparkled in the light and the train floated elegantly behind her as she gracefully walked down the aisle with her father. Donna was flanked by her three bridesmaids, who looked gorgeous in dusky pink gowns and flowers to match, white roses and shades of the same pink. I have never seen my two friends so happy before and it brought a lump to my throat.

The ceremony was perfect and ran without any glitches, leaving me almost in tears when the new 'Mr & Mrs' walked hand in hand down the aisle to Take That's- Greatest Day. Much confetti was thrown and congratulations cheered in abundance!

The wedding celebrations continued as the guests went to Barton Grange Hotel, to be greeted (with much pleasure) with champers as we awaited the happy couple. Photos were taken and the guest book signed and then we all excitedly went to eat.

The tables were set beautifully, with fresh flowers, placecards, table numbers in vintage frames, lanterns, little wedding cake bubbles, small chocolate hedgehogs for the guests, and sequins spelling 'Philip, Donna, Just Married'. The food was delicious. I had the starter of Melon which was presented as a rose with sorbe and a small shot of strawberry jelly...the whole thing tasting like edible perfume. A main course of Beef, with all the trimmings and sticky toffee pudding with custard and butterscotch sauce left me almost popping out of my dress! The meal certainly was exquisite and well recieved by all, as was the refills upon refills of free wine!

The speeches were then made by the Father of the Bride, The Groom, the Best Man and the Father of the Groom filling the room with pride and love. Thanks and gifts were also given to those who played a part in the wedding, including me for making the placecards, table numbers, Menus, the table plan and the sign for the wedding post box. As Phil said on behalf of himself and Donna how much they treasured my friendship I welled up, til he said stand up and I could have shaken my fist at him...as I stood, wine-infused and bright red and gave a little wave at the 40 guests who stared back at me.

The afternoon was filled with more drink, talking, trips to the games room and the recieving of more and more guests for the night do. Around 8pm the cutting of the cake was done and as was Philip and Donna's first dance together as a married couple. They really were stunning together. We then all joined in the merriment and dancing to S-club 7, Michael Jackson, Dirty Dancing montage and some Mo-town hits, along with some current music in the charts which left the crowds reeling as I successfully danced to Rizzle Kicks- Mama do the Hump....they were either reeling or laughing at me, one can't be sure! I have never danced so much in my entire life! Leaving me without the energy to consume the buffet and magnificent chocolate fountain (that and I was still full from the earlier three-course meal)

Guests began to say their goodbyes as the glorious day came to its end around midnight. I was sure Donna was ready to hang up her pearly white, dancing shoes. All in all it was a fabulous event and will be talked about for weeks to come. I have never experienced so much love in one place at the same time. The love between Donna and Phil, between the families that had gathered and the friends and well-wishers. Looking around the room left you seeing nothing but smiles and laughter and the happy couple should be proud of what they have accomplished! Currently having a well-earned rest, I am sure they will be able to look back at their wedding and smile, for it really was superb!

Love to them from me, and I am sure, all you eccentrics too- from all round the world!

Rach
x

No comments:

Post a Comment